Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Sydney

My first night in Sydney could be described as "uncomfortable". I flew in on Sunday night and just couldn't be bothered to find a hostel to stay in for the evening before Sabrina go in the next morning. Needless to say I slept in the airport! I wasn't the only one with the same idea, some even had their own sleeping bags for the campout. I looked on jealously while I tried to find a comfy way to sleep on my backpack, I wish I had a picture of it because I don't think I could ever get into that position again! But it was all worth it when I finally met Sabrina at the gate, it was like a part of Winnipeg was coming to see me.

Our first hostel was in Kings Cross ( the red light district of Sydney), and was a bit sketchy to say the least. We ended up sharing a top bunk and I almost wished I was back in the airport. After two nights of that we moved to a more central spot on George St. which is right across the street from Central station, handy.

We've been hanging out on the beaches all week and seeing the sights. We went to Coogee beach and Bondi beach last week, they both had the softest sand and brilliant blue water, unfortunately Grand can't compare sorry guys! On Tuesday we took the ferry out to Manly beach and met up with Genevieve, a friend of mine from ISV. The weather wasn't entirely pleasant so we ended up going shopping for most of the day and pigging out at the Ben n' Jerrys ice cream parlor that's on the boardwalk.

Yesterday we felt like true tourists as we walked around the harbour and the botanical gardens snapping photos and seeing the sights. Again the weather wasn't very nice but the Opera House still manages to shine under a gray sky. We checked out the Museum of Contemporary Art as well as the Art Gallery of New South Wales. It's awesome sharing this trip with someone with similar interests.

We're going to try and make it to the Toranga Zoo before we leave for Melbourne on Sunday. Robyn and Bruce Tolhurst, relatives on my dads side, are taking us out in their boat tomorrow to show us the "real Australia" haha. Can't wait to be showed around by a local!

2 comments:

  1. Okay, so that was an interesting first few days in OZ. First as a homeless waif in the airport and then two days hanging out in the red light district. Glad you moved to the George. I was amazed that it looked like downtown Wpg when I checked it out on Google. I keep having this weird idea that everything in OZ is brand new. I guess to a tourist... So now you're back in the groove - beaches, shopping and culture- and I just heard that you had a great day out on the water. Love the pix hon. Keep up the great work, oops, I meant fun.
    Love ya
    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Eva,
    your travel tales are fantastic to read. I was confused looking for your boyfriend Trevor until I re-read the post I'd read last week and realized he is a horse. Anyhoo,
    you sound like you are having a great time in so many amazing places. And HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!!! Take care and keep having fun!
    Lots of love from Auntie Tricia.

    ReplyDelete